Detroit Professional Photographers Association Print Exhibition Rules
The purpose of this competition is to allow photographers to enter photographic prints to be judged against a standard of excellence using the "12 Elements of a Merit Image". (more information) All paid members of DPPA are eligible to participate and collect points toward DPPA Photographer of the Year award. Dues need to be current by November 1st. Entry fee of $5.00 per print entered paid at time of print submission.
Photographic Competition Categories
All entries must be designated by the maker in the following classifications:
- Portrait: Consists of portraits
- Illustrative: Consists of scenics, pictorials, digital paintings and similar subject matter. (Portraits and weddings are not appropriate for this category.)
- Commercial: Consists of commercial and industrial entries.
General Entry Rules.
Make sure to download the appropriate rule set from below.
- Entrant must have captured and created the original exposure.
- Any entry that has been reproduced from an existing photography, portrait, graphic or any other artwork produced by another person is a violation of the competition rules.
- The entrant's name shall not appear anywhere in or on the face of the entry.
- A maximum of six entries may be submitted per entrant. The top four scores will be tabulated towards the annual awards.
- No entry will be eligible that has been made under the supervision of an instructor, or in a class, or as a class assignment.
- No two entries shall be of the same subject.
- Entries previously entered at the DPPA Print Competition are not eligible.
- A signed entry form must be enclosed with your entry. Entries without your signature will not be judged. Use provided print identification labels. Please tape the proper label to the lower left corner on the back of each entry.
- All entries must be titled. Not doing so will disqualify your entry.
- All prints must be submitted before 7: PM on the night of competition for acceptance. Only one entrant per case. We suggest the case be a fiber or similar style print case. However boxes will be accepted. The Print Committee will re-pack your entries and release them after the Competition.
- Professional Photographers of America procedures and scoring will be used in this exhibit, except for changes covered within these rules. Quartz or halogen lighting source to produce incident reading of F-16 at 1 sec. ASA 100. A maximum of five (5) and a minimum of three (3) judges will sit on a jury. Three of the judges must have attained the Master of Photography Degree. The rest must have at least (5) Exhibition merits from PPA.
- Each juror has the privilege of challenging a photograph. A challenge may raise or lower score. The final score will be tabulated. Circumstances may make it necessary to ask questions or give information. In such cases the chairperson will rule on the questioned situation. There must be at least two (2) Blue Ribbon photographs in a category to select Best of Category Winner. If a single print is in any category then that print is eligible for Best of Show. The Best of Show winner will be selected from all The best of Categories.
- Jury Chairman is not allowed to enter competition. Judges are not allowed to enter competition in the year that they are judging.
- The Print Chairperson will decide any problem arising prior to , or during the judging not specifically covered by these rules. That decision will be final.
- Any entries not in compliance with these rules will be automatically disqualified. No Exceptions.